Climatebiz Community

DIY Solar Projects

Can I discharge LiFePo4 battery 100% ?

1 Like

Hi Sisira!

While LiFePo4 batteries aren’t my area of expertise, according to this source, LiFePo4 batteries can be discharged 100%. Furthermore, it’s said that there won’t be any long-term effects.

However, 100% DOD isn’t recommended, and 80% is a healthier depth of recharge.

I believe that @Ana will be able to give you some more information on this.

I recommend that you check out these articles and maybe leave a comment for the authors:

I hope this helps!

Hey @sisira,

Yes Dylan is right.

The recommended depth of discharge for LifePO4 batteries is generally between 80 - 90%.

Older LiFePO4 batteries should rather be discharged upto 80% while more modern LiFePO4 technology can be discharged upto 90%.

OK noted with Thanks Kyle

What application are you using your battery for?

Hi @sisira!
Apologies for the late reply.

As @DylanCrosbie said, LiFePO4 can be discharged to 100% DoD without suffering any major damages.

However, over time, you might notice a few negative effects to your LiFePO4 battery’s health, like a decrease in performance, capacity losses and shorter service life.

To avoid these issues, manufacturers usually recommended an 80% Depth of Discharge for LiFePO4.

If you’re interested in learning a bit more about this subject, I recommend the following articles, which investigate the overdischarge of lithium-ion batteries:

Hope it helps :slight_smile:

Good day Ana
Yes ,noted well,
Thanks

1 Like