Climatebiz Community

How much did your DIY solar system cost?

Share how much it cost you to build your home’s own DIY solar system. I want to compare the costs against hiring a company to do it for me.

Hey there!

I’m based in Florida.

I spent approximately $12,372 for a 5 kW system.

This does not include the local solar tax incentive though.

Hey im rather keen on learning more about solar and possibly putting most of my house on it

Ive heard things that i assume come into the cost.
Is it true we need new low energy appliances to efficiently use solar.
Is diy easy enough that we don’t need to get a company in.
What about compliance. And by laws…

I think besides cost there is pros and cons to d.i.y.

Hey Paul,

1. Is it true we need new low energy appliances to efficiently use solar?
It doesn’t matter what applainces you use in your home, a solar system should be able to offset your consumption. However, using low energy appliances will result in a lower monthly consumption, which means you won’t need to invest in such a large solar system (thus you will save money).

2. Is diy easy enough that we don’t need to get a company in?
When installing a solar system larger than 5kW it is recommended to get in a professional instead of doing it yourself. (This assumes you have no electrical knowledge). It also depends on whether you plan on installing a grid-tied or off-grid system.

As it stands, there are currently no significant tax incentives or other government-led programmes that mirror those in the United States or the European Union. However, this may be shifting in the near coming future.

Out of curiosity, how much electricity in kWh does your home consume each month?

Hi!

I am based in the Philippines, my system is Off-grid:

-11 kW solar panel power
-2 Off-grid inverters (3.5kw + 5.5kw)
-30 kWh lifepo4 battery storage (mix of DIY system and ready made batteries)

The total cost of my system is approx. 10’000 USD.

Half of the system was purchased and installed by professional, the second half I did it myself from scratc. I imported solar panels and battery modules from China to the Philippines via Alibaba. I saved a lot.

Cheers!